Sycamore School is committed to ensuring a safe environment within which all members of our community may learn, teach, and work. The safety of our students, faculty, staff, and visitors is of primary importance. Keeping everyone safe involves the following:
- The Crisis Committee reviews and updates all policies and procedures and stays abreast of the most current information on crisis management.
- Several Sycamore administrators and staff members are certified school safety specialists trained by the State of Indiana.
- A Crisis Response Plan and a Crisis Procedures Desktop Guide, which identify both general principles and specific procedures for addressing a variety of potential crises and emergencies, are distributed to all employees.
- Regularly scheduled drills are conducted to practice identified procedures in the event of a crisis (e.g. fires, internal or external threats, tornadoes, etc.) for the safety of our students and staff.
The school clinic is staffed with a full-time nurse who can attend to immediate medical issues. Caring for the medical needs of our community also includes the following:
- Many faculty and staff members throughout the school are trained in first aid and CPR.
- Automated external defibrillators are placed in designated areas on campus.
- Annual training is conducted for all faculty and staff on food allergies (including emergency medication administration), concussions, bloodborne pathogens, and seizures.