Position type: Full time, exempt, 10 months
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. (unless otherwise specified)
Reports to: Head of Lower School
The Media Specialist will collaborate with the Technology Integration Specialist and classroom teachers to integrate digital and media skills into existing curricular units. This individual will need to be proactive and an active collaborator when it comes to offering ideas and structuring these units. This person will also be responsible for maintaining the school’s book and information collection.
- Work with the Technology Integration Specialist to collaborate with faculty on unit materials and activities to contribute to the curriculum.
- Write and develop curriculum appropriate for gifted students; collaborate with other teachers to ensure appropriate integration, scope and sequence articulation of curriculum.
- Create online curriculum units that meet both departmental objectives and student needs and integrate with current grade level units.
- Create and implement a scope and sequence for library and research skills across all divisions.
- Create assignments and assessments to measure the effectiveness of the curriculum and gauge the knowledge of the students; provide appropriate and timely feedback.
- Working with the Technology Integration Specialist and the classroom teachers, develop and implement a digital citizenship curriculum.
- Create a dynamic learning environment and promote a positive environment in the classroom and online, in which students are on task and productive; display positive, effective classroom management techniques.
- Create and implement a variety of lessons and activities to spread the passion of reading and stories through all divisions.
- Follow all guidelines in teacher job description.
- Schedule and organize author visits and Read-A-Thon activities.Select and purchase materials (print and other materials).
- Process new materials (add new materials to the computer system, including original cataloging when necessary; print barcodes and spine labels; add label, label protectors, pockets, and stamping).
- In general, maintain the library collection (perform timely inventories of materials, discard materials as they become worn and outdated).
- Administer and operate Destiny library software program and database.
- Schedule regular classroom visits, research projects, SSA activities, meetings and special events in the library.
- Work with local bookstores to organize book sales for author visits.
- Manage library budget for books, periodicals, and supplies. Supervise and manage the birthday book program, including maintenance of the birthday database, mailings to parents, providing appropriate book plates, notifications to students.
- Handle overdue materials issues and send weekly overdue notices to parents and faculty/staff.
- Supervise students in the Media Center after school study hall two times per week.
- Attend Early Childhood, Lower School, and Middle School Division meetings as needed, and all-staff faculty meetings.
- Meet with the Technology Department for team meetings and direction as needed.
- Be a member of the Technology Committee.
- Co-supervise the work of the Media Center Assistant.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Masters Degree in Library Science or Library Certificate required.
- Past experience working in a school library required.
- Gifted Education Endorsement or High Ability licensure is preferred.
Well-qualified applicants should send a cover letter, current resume, copies of degrees and licenses, and names and contact information for three professional references to Julie Szolek-Van Valkenburgh, HR Coordinator via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls or walk-ins will be accepted for this position.